Sunday, July 06, 2008

Internet Speak, Shorthands, and Acronyms

These are some common shorthands and acronyms used in the web, email, and instant messengers like MSN. I quoted this list from Answers.com. This is most useful reference for when you receive such acronyms in an online conversation.

AFAIK As far as I know.
AFK Away from keyboard.
ATM At the moment.
AWGTHTGTTA Are we going to have to go through this again.
AYT Are you there.
BBL Be back later.
BFN Bye for now.
BRB Be right back.
BTDT Been there, done that.
BTW By the way.
CUL See you later.
DETI Don't even think it.
DQMOT Don't quote me on this.
EBCAK Error between chair and keyboard.
EBKAC Error between keyboard and chair.
F2F Face to face.
FOAF Friend of a friend.
FWIW For what it's worth.
FYI For your information.
GAL Get a life.
GD&R Grinning, ducking and running.
GMTA Great minds think alike.
HB Hurry back.
HHOK Ha, ha, only kidding.
IANAL I am not a laywer, but...
IAW In accordance with.
IMCO In my considered opinion.
IMHO In my humble opinion.
IMO In my opinion.
IOW In other words.
JK Just kidding.
JOOTT Just one of those things.
KK Okay, all right.
LMAO Laughing my a** off.
LOL Lots of luck.
LYLAS Love ya like a sister.
MWA A kiss (the sound of "mwa.")
MYOB Mind your own business.
N2M Not too much.
NIH Not invented/invited here.
OIC Oh, I see.
OTOH On the other hand.
OTP On the phone.
PAL Parents are listening.
PEBCAK Problem exists between chair and keyboard.
PEBKAC Problem exists between keyboard and chair.
PIR Parents in room.
PLBCAK Problem lies between chair and keyboard.
PLBKAC Problem lies between keyboard and chair.
PMJI Pardon my jumping in.
PTG&LI Playing the game and loving it.
RL Real life.
ROFL Rolling on the floor laughing.
STFU Shut the f*** up!
SUP What's up?
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
TIA Thanks in advance.
TTFN Ta, ta for now (goodbye).
TTT Thought that too.
TTYL Talk to you later.
TU Thank you.
TY Thank you.
WFM Works for me.
YT You there?

1 comment: